4.19.2010

Identity


Mike and I picked up some Pad Thai the other day and tucked neatly into my fortune roll was the following message.

                                                                        "Never cling to any single identity"
I liked this. A lot. It's something I've been thinking about/struggling with for years. As soon as Mike's tattoos became visible people began forming their own opinions on the "type" of person he is. Most people would never think a guy with a sleeve tattoo, true religion jeans and black frame glasses would be a cop, and I like that. Some people, however, take his tattoos as a sign that they should pull their kids closer to them when they walk past him. Really? He’s eating dinner at the Olive Garden with his 75 year old Grandma, but I digress. I wouldn't want to be with someone that fits so neatly and rigidly into a specific mold. Unfortunately, a lot of people fit into this one dimensional mold and that is where people come up with their preconceived notions. For example, on a whim the other day I got a “Monroe” facial piercing. I think it’s cute and fun and that’s the gist of it. I’m afraid, however, that this will place me into some people’s ideas of the “type” of person I am. I’m not hardcore, I don’t work at a tattoo shop, I don’t listen to emo music and wear studded belts (not that there is anything wrong with that, just making a point). I like French country and hiking and classical music. I like sci-fi, and gardening and watching the discovery channel. You get the idea. I’m not a “type” of person, I'm me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...