5.24.2010

Container Gardening - Part II

I mentioned in this post how excited I was to plant my container garden. Well, finally, after two months of talking about and too many busy weekends to do it, I've planted my little garden (with help from Mike). It's nothing compared to the spectacular home gardens cultivated by my friends and family, but it's my own little home grown farmer's market, so I'm excited nonetheless.

To start out, Mike and I headed to Lowe's and grabbed two of these babies. This is the same soil that's in my compost bin.




We also grabbed three of these large neutral planters to make a nice symmetrical little garden on the corner of our little patio.

Although I originally intended to grow:

  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Lettuce (such as Black Seeded Simpson)
  • Green Onion
  • Chive
Plus
  • Flat Leaf Parsley
  • Basil
The availability at the store and Mike's general enthusiasm, led us to choose:

  • Cucumbers
  • Serrano Peppers
  • Yellow Squash
  • Basil
  • Parsley
also...
  • There were no lettuce plants,
  • We forgot to grab the cilantro
  • There was a green pepper plant in the tomato crate
So, we'll have to head back to the store and grab the cilantro and tomatoes, and we planted the green pepper anyway. All the plants we chose were Bonnie Plants of the "plant the pot" variety, which makes it quick and easy to plant.



(Click the picture for a closer look)

So here's my little garden, isn't it cute? Mike joked that the squash plant will probably only produce one little squash, but it will be the best squash ever.

Don't be shy readers! Post a comment or link below about your experiences with gardening. Just click the word "comments", write your comment, choose if you want to post with a Google account, just your name or anonymously, and click publish.

P.S. Want to get all my Domestic Observances sent straight to your email? Enter your email in the box on the left <----. Or subscribe to posts here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...