8.15.2011

Whole Wheat Tortillas

I've been thinking about making tortillas for awhile, but with my not very successful attempts at baking bread, I was a bit apprehensive. It turns out though, that these were really simple and fun to make. No these were not like my doughy, hard as a rock but somehow soft bricks of bread, that Mike tries to eat anyway because he loves me. This recipe is from the lovely Whole Family Fare and makes 10 tortillas, but I was low on whole wheat flour so I halved the recipe.


2 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. sea salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup warm water

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the olive oil and mix until it starts to come together. Add the warm water and mix until dough forms, adding a little more if necessary. Transfer dough to a smooth surface and knead for 3 minutes. Divide into 10 equal portions. Using your hand, roll each portion into a ball. With a rolling pin, roll the balls into a very thin circle (about 8-inch diameter).

Heat a cast iron skillet or comal ( I used a large nonstick skillet) to medium heat and cook the tortillas, about 2 minutes on each side. I cooked them until they developed those brown tortilla spots, which seemed to work for me.

Yields 10 tortillas.



They were delicious and chewy, especially when warm, but they were definitely thicker than store bought, maybe a tortilla press would help with that. Also I'm guessing if you're not a whole wheat fan (hi, mom!) you could probably replace the whole wheat flour with regular white flour.


Images by Amynonymous for Domestic Observances

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...