2.09.2011

Growing in the Winter

After eating some not so ripe strawberries this past week, I began longing for some fresh produce. But since I don't live in a place that supplies fresh year round produce and farmers markets, I have to make due with what's at the grocery store. However, there are some things that can be grown inside during the long frigid winter months. 

Mushrooms: We eat a lot of mushrooms; in lasagna, enchiladas, and pastas, so the thought of having fresh mushrooms is appealing. This shiitake mushroom log produces 1/4 to 1/3 pound of mushrooms every two months for about four years.

 
Shiitake Mushroom Log from Terrain

Wheatgrass: My only experience with wheat grass as a shot at Jamba Juice. But I can see how you can throw a little bit in a fruit smoothie and get the nutrients but hide the grassy taste.

 Grow your own wheatgrass: Via Vanilla & Lace

Sprouts: You can sprout all sorts of things; garbanzo beans, lentils, peas, barley, or Creed from The Office's favorite: mung beans.

Michael: Ok, Ryan, you told Toby that Creed has a distinct old man smell.
Creed: I know what's he's talking about. I sprout mung beans on a damp paper towel in my desk drawer. Very nutritious, but they smell like death.

So if you're a fan of alfalfa (Jimmy John's anyone?), you can sprout your own beans for a similar, delicious taste.

Sprouting Lentils: Via Honest Fare

I think I might try the lentils. Happy Growing!









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...